PATRICK DODD

In 2021, I completed a convict case study on Patrick Dodd for my UTAS Family History course. For some reason the word document has disappeared, but I have a PDF with full intext referencing for those who might be interested. My research looks at Patrick from the time of his crime, his time as a convict, and details of his life after that until his death. A full bibliography is included. 

FREE ACCESS: I am happy to share access to my full research for those who request via comment below. Unfortunately I have had a large amount of my research from this blog taken without acknowledgment. It is with sadness I am making my research available "by request". 

Also, feel free to use the comments as a place to share with others.

I have a private Facebook Group where files and research will be posted. Feel free to join to join the conversations.

__________________________________________________________________________


On 30 August 1828, Patrick Dodd sat down to a meal of roast ham. He’d stolen it earlier that evening in an act of highway robbery that ultimately led to his transportation to Australia. 

Laurence McGuirk and a young boy travelled in a mule cart on the King’s Highway near Naas, Ireland, when they were bailed up by Patrick, Michael Connolly and Edward Dowling. One held the mule’s bridle while Dowling presented a pistol, knocked McGuirk in a ditch and robbed him of his watch. The trio absconded with nineteen hams, groceries and two tablecloths which they divvied up before sitting down to a meal.

Patrick and Michael stood trial before the Dublin Commission, 1 November 1828. When McGuirk could not identify them, Edward Dowling was called as an approver and testified that Patrick, Michael and himself had committed the robbery and many other crimes together. With this information the judge found Patrick and Michael guilty, and a judgement of death was recorded. Edward’s confession, it seems, saved him from conviction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Names

Sarah Weatherstone Part 1 From Birth to Departure

Michael Cotter - The Details