Could John Ross' brother Joseph Have Also Been Known As John Ross?

Trove Newspaper articles have lead me to believe that Joseph Ross was sometimes referred to as John Ross. They had a connection with Sarah Bird and John Ross was noted as his brother in law. Could Ellen Ross have been related to Sarah? I have several posts that cover the relationship between Bird and the Rosses and also theories about Ellen Ross.

FREE ACCESS: I am happy to share access to my research for those who request via comment below. Unfortunately I have had a large amount of my research from this blog taken without acknowledgment. It is with sadness I am making my research available "by request". 

Also, feel free to use the comments as a place to share with others.

I have a private Facebook Group where files and research will be posted. Feel free to join to join the conversations.

_______________________________________________

It is widely believed that John Ross who was a convict and shoemaker was my fourth Great-Grandfather. I started this post with the intention of outlining my research for John Ross but as I familiarised myself with some of the convict John's story, I realised that there are stories where the articles talk about Joseph and in the courts he is also called John. Is it possible that they both used the name John?

While there is a question about who John Lees' father was, we do know from St Johns Parramatta baptism records his mother was Ellen Ross, a spinster living at Bankstown in September 1836. John Lees' death records name his father as John Ross, a land selector. Edward, John Lees' son, registered these details but declared the mother unknown. Edward was an adult when the family left Araluen to move to Tingha. Ellen had been alive then and married to John Seeley, why he declared her unknown is puzzling other than wanting to perhaps hide John Lees' bastard birth or the possibility that Ellen was Aboriginal (maybe when asked her surname the answer was "Unknown" so whole field was recorded as "Unknown"). 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Names

Sarah Weatherstone Part 1 From Birth to Departure

Michael Cotter - The Details