Finding James Hardy - Part 2

HINT: ASSUME YOU'VE FOUND THEM!
Of course I need more facts to prove this is James, but I start my search for facts by just assuming this IS James. From here I can start looking for other things using "details" I know about James. These are my new facts (assumed of course!)

  • James & Jane Hardy live at Pensioner Row, Westbury Tasmania
  • James died late 1880 or early 1881

So now, I'm sticking to Trove and I punch in Hardy Pensioner Row Westbury and can I say BINGO again?

This is where I always get a flutter of excitement. I find this ad from 1954!!! Seems odd .. but can you see what I see?

Yes, it's the same piece of land that had been owned by James Hardy but see the applicants?  ERNEST JOHN CADMAN and LILA MAY CADMAN.

CADMAN!!! Can this simply be a coincidence? I myself prefer to imagine that Ernest is a little sentimental and has decided he's buying his Great Aunty Jane's farm!!! (Of course Jane may have previously been married and this is a grandson).

So, while not a definite fact, it is a little hint that we are perhaps on the right track at least.

So what else can we find about James Hardy at Westbury?

HINT: TYPE STREET NAMES NOT NUMBERS
Historically, it seems house numbers change! Farms and large estates get split up and numbers have to be reallocated. So I will search for an address in Trove and Google, but usually ignore the street number. What we know is a cross road for James though. It is the land between Pensioner Row and Marriott Street and it has the side street of Dexter Street. So, infact any of these could possibly be searched, but excitingly they can all be searched on Google Earth.

So, going to Google I searched Hardy Pensioner Row, Westbury. and found yet more information for James Hardy. Here we have James Hardy as an Irish Military Pensioner!!!

Looking around the pages we find out that James Hardy came to Tasmania 28 November 1850 aboard the Convict Ship Rodney with 308 convicts, 30 military pensioner guards, 24 wives and 48 children" (I've now dismissed this information as it was unsourced and also does not fit the timeline for the birth registry of James & Jane's first child Isabella.)

Rodney was built 1850 at Sunderland, England. Wood ship of 877 Tons. She carried 312 male convicts to Hobart, Tasmania and had four deaths en-route. She departed Portland, England on the 23rd of August 1850 and arrived in Hobart on the 28th of November 1850. Master: Captain Alexander Maclean. Surgeon: Frederick W. le Grand. Source





Comments

  1. My Grandfather is Ernest John Cadman married to Lila May Lees, My father is Rex Allan Cadman. I am trying to find more information on Ernest AKA Erin Cadman. I have the connection with Deloraine land sale plus on Erin's WW1 discharge he lists B. Cadman Deloraine as next of kin. I have not been able to track anything more on Erin nor B. Cadman. Can someone please help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Names

Sarah Weatherstone Part 1 From Birth to Departure

Michael Cotter - The Details